A good domain name always plays a vital role in a successful blog or website. And, it’s worth spending some time to choose one cleverly.
Many times, people say “What’s in a name?” But, in the online world, a great name or a great domain name is all you need to kick-start your online venture.
A well picked better domain name can take your website to the top with lesser efforts. On the contrary, a hastily picked or poor/bad domain name can be the cause of your online failure.
Webmasters usually don’t give much importance while registering a domain name. This is mainly due to the lack of awareness/information and the initial pre-success period associated with less expectations (casualness).
What a good domain name can do for you?
- Represents your brand identity.
- Helps to get links from external sites.
- Play a vital role in your company or blog logo.
- People/visitors associate and remember your site by the domain name.
How a good domain name should be?
- Easy to remember and should be either 2 or 3-word combinations. The best one is the two-word combination. Although single-word domain name is the best, I bet you can’t find one, unless you are a millionaire.
- Short and catchy – Yes, size matters, when it comes to a domain name. The shorter and catchy the name, the better it is. Restrict the letter count to less than 13. Around 8 to 10 letters in a domain are considered very good.
- Meaningful and reflects your online business.
- Go for gTLDs or generic Top Level Domains like .com, .net, .org, .edu, .gov or .info, if your website is for wider audience and not restricted to any specific country.
- If your business is country specific then you should go for ccTLDs or country code Top-level Domains like .co.uk, .org.au, .co.in for the United Kingdom, Australia and India respectively.
- Do not go for names with hyphen. Earlier people were crazy to buy hyphenated multi-word domain names which are rich in keywords. But, due to the introduction of penalty by Google for the exact match domain name the trend is no more.
- Shouldn’t be a copy, or duplicate of an existing domain name. For example – You can’t buy a domain name like SeoWordPress.com. WordPress is already patent. Yes, you can buy like SeoWP.com. Even, you should not go for any short form of an existing domain name.
Things you should consider..
- Exact match domain: Don’t try to include your every single word in the domain name to get the keyword benefit. One keyword is OK.The problem with keyword rich domain name is – You will go for more number of exact match keyword anchor text (same as a domain name) from external sites for SEO benefits resulting in penalty by Google Penguin. As such Google is demoting exact-match domain names from its search results.
- Domain registration period: Domain registered for a period of 1 year is considered as spammy by Google. And, it is in its search engine signal also.
- Non-sense domain name: This is a trend now, due to unavailability of choice keywords. Here you have to combine 2 words or 3 words to make a catchy and non-sense domain name.
Tools to choose a Good domain name
Try out the below tools to choose the best domain name for your site –
If you want to buy a domain name, go for reputable ones like GoDaddy, Hostgator, BlueHost or Dreamhost. My favorite is JustHost.com because of their after sales service or assistance. The blog you are reading MoneyCTL.com is registered and hosted on JustHost.
Why choose Perfect Themes for your New WordPress Website & Blog: https://youtu.be/ysE5x-VUFlI
How to Earn Money from VCommission Affiliate Program: https://youtu.be/hy7xW5AyUmo
How to Earn Money From Peerfly #BestAffiliateNetwork: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz1a…
How to Earn Money with Amazon Affiliate Program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nQjK…
How to Earn Money with Flipkart Affiliate in India: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZCHi…
Latest posts by Anant Vijay Soni (see all)
- Top 10 SEO Blogs and Bloggers You Should Follow in 2019 - January 13, 2019
- All My Fellow Bloggers Died In Traffic Accidents - January 12, 2019
- Future of Blogging – Bright, Dark or Dead ? - January 10, 2019